Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Assignment

Driving past
The hills and chimney smoke mingling
With the earth’s waking breaths
I can feel the crisp road crunch
Under the tires, as I turn slowly
Remembering that time
When the road spun me off into the grove
Of maple saplings

Cresting the hill saved for neighbors’ graves
Sunrise
Welcome
While the condensed snow clouds slumber in the valley
Spilling over the sides of the loping hills
Sunbathing, not reaching the bottom of the valley
As I weave my way along the thin road
Looking at the underbellies, spent and sleepy

The roosters hear the rutted gravel driveway welcome me
And hurry, jabbering for first place
I scatter the grain slowly, watching the fiery necks glisten
Sunlight rising
Over the East hill
Spikes of sudden frost illuminated on the garden fence
And the rain barrel sketched with ice
Sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment